Making candy is an adventure.
The highs are high.
The lows are low.
But despite the fact that it’s basically a nonstop thrill ride of watching a pot boil verrrrry slowly, the pay off is BIG.
So watch the video and watch me, watching my favorite sport:
The slow and gradual increase in temperature.
GO TEAM MARSHMALLOW.
This recipe is based on the Honey Marshmallow recipe by The Urban Poser. If you don’t know about her, you should get acquainted. She’s brilliant.
- 5-6 Tbs grassfed beef gelatin
- 2 cups Maple Syrup
- 2 cups water
- 1 honking pinch of salt
- Arrowroot powder (for sprinkling)
- Maple Sugar (optional, for sprinkling)
- 1 Tbs Vanilla Extract (I forgot this part, it isn't necessary, but I'm sure it's nice)
- Pour 1 cup of water in a big bowl.
- Sprinkle the gelatin in. Make sure all the gelatin blooms. If it doesn't, add a smidge more water to make the difference. Set aside.
- Add the maple syrup, salt, and remaining cup of water to a pot on the stove. Bring it to a boil. Put the candy thermometer in and watch it until it gets to 242 to 245 degrees. Once it does, take it off the heat until it comes down to 225.
- If you have a standing mixer, use it. I don't so now I use my hand mixer.
- Slowly pour the mixture into the bowl as you mix, letting it hit the side of the bowl before it hits the gelatin on the bottom (to let it cool at bit more). Once all of the mixture is in and the gelatin has melted, turn your mixer on high and beat that stuff until it triples in size, turns white and cool to the touch. I like to beat it about a minute longer after I think it's done.
- Put parchment paper in your cookie sheet, sprinkle arrowroot powder on the parchment paper, and pour the marshmallow cream in. Sprinkle more arrowroot powder and maple sugar (if you're using it) on top and let it set for at least 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, cut it up, sprinkle more arrowroot powder and maple sugar on the other sides and eat. those. marshmallows.
The music in this episode is by Spirit Kid. They’re amazing. Check them out!
IF YOU LIKE THIS, SHARE IT.
Follow me on the twitter, facebook, pinterest, youtube, instagram and if you never want to miss an episode, get on the mailing list!
Filed in: Desserts